45 days…. just shy of 6.5 weeks left until I am finished in Honduras. School will be finished and I will say goodbye to my 22 little ones…. say goodbye to my five roommates and I will board a bus to Nicaragua for a week and then on to Costa Rica for a month… Where has the time gone? There was a time when this year seemed to be such a daunting thing before me. It was such a big unknown and now these 10 months are nearly complete….
Seems so strange how much time has passed…..I got my haircut yesterday in hopes that if it was butchered I would have enough time for it to grow back before I moved back to the States and need to look presentable. No worries, the hair cut was as success… all six dollars of it 🙂
There are few things I am craving right now, specific things I cannot wait to see and do when I get stateside. In other ways there are many things that I could turn my back on and be quite happy if I were to never experience or taste them for a very long time….. here is my current craving, desire list….
- I crave a grande non-fat, extra hot, no foam, two splenda latte from Starbucks (ridiculous I know :)) and not just any latte but one that came after I stood in a line, in an air conditioned room, watching as others lined up behind me for their cup of joe before their day begins.
- I crave a cold coors light at a rockies baseball game and a big ol bag of kettle corn. Regardless of whether the season is looking good for the team. That’s what I want. To sit a coors field, watch the boys play and be under the lights.
- I long to sit on a couch. Like a proper comfy couch with cushions and pillows. Maybe even put a blanket around me because it may be cold. Watch a movie. Oh how wonderful this would be.
- I cant wait to go for a run outside and not worry about someone cat calling, whistling, slowing down their car to watch me, or just plain starring (hence I rarely run here).
- I long to have options for dinner besides, fried chicken, honduran baleada, the D and D, or the Chinese restaurant below our house. Sushi, sandwich place, barbecue, steak, mexican food? Options Options……
- I cant wait to eat at a table that does not have small shrimp/lobster bugs living in it or ants running all over it. To not be afraid to eat something off the table for fear it has “extra proten” (What we call small bugs found in drinks or food).
- I am over getting up at 6:30 am to catch a bus to go to school. I am tired and who likes school anyway…. ( I thought I graduated?)
- I am tired of feeling dirty, dirty feet, dusty house, living in dirt.
- I am so over showering in our kitchen, with the sometimes way too hot…. sometimes freezing temperatures, mediocre water pressure and exposed wires that can electrocute you…
- I never want to be bitten by a mosquito again. Over those little son of a guns period.
- I am tired of feeling like I am living in a video game of mario cart while riding in a bus or in a car, trying to avoid pot holes, or holding on for life in the back of a pick up truck to avoid being killed by another crazy driver.
You may read this and say well yes I would be “over” those things too but….. may want to ask me, “Aren’t you going to miss it???”………My reply…… Yes…. More than you know…. More than I am afraid I myself can even comprehend.
Such is life… always wanting the things you cannot have.
I will miss riding in the back of pick up trucks, listening to the best of the 80s on the way to school at 6:30 am, miss not caring that I have not showered in a day or two, blow dried my hair in months, and that my feet are constantly covered in dirt, I will miss sitting around the campfire at the D and D even though I was bitten by a bunch of bugs. Most of all I will miss the family that I have here. We are all we have here and let me tell you…. couldn’t have been more lucky to call them roommates, colleagues, and my now honduran family.
Loving this verse today…. in the midst of counting down and being present…. Matt shared this with my mom and I and it remains ever true in my heart today…
5 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life[a]?
28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
Scenes around our house and at school. Happy Hump Day Yall…
**** Top left: The men installing something on the internet through the roof in our house. Top right: My favorite things right now, dark chocolate my mom brought, and sparkling water. Bottom Left: The face of a boy who has begged for my blue pen all day long. Bottom Right: cutest boy ever on the way home from school in the back of a pickup truck.